2.01.2011

Snow Days


Dear Mrs. Miskin's Class,
Hi!  It's Kim, from Ohio.  Remember me?  I'm Mrs. Miskin's sister.  She texted me earlier and told me that you guys are talking about snow days today.  Growing up in Arizona, I had NO idea what a snow day was.  Like you, I never had a snow day in my life.  I sure know what they are now!  As you can see from the picture above, it is really cold today and the wind is blowing, so it makes it FEEL even colder.  Unlike Arizona, the temperature doesn't change very much from night to day.  You can look at the picture below and compare it with the temps in Mesa.  Quite a difference isn't it?


This is the street we live on.  It has already been plowed today and there is still snow on it.  After it is plowed, they spread salt on the leftover snow to help it melt.    Cars slide around a lot when the street looks like this.  We have to be very careful when the streets are snowy, slushy, and icy.  The reason kids don't go to school on snow days is because of the streets.  It is too dangerous for the busses to drive under these conditions.  Sometimes, if the streets are cleared quickly, and there is no more snow in the forecast, there will be a delay.  That means the kids go to school 2 hours later than normal.



This is our home.  It takes me about 45 minutes to shovel the snow in our driveway.  If it has snowed a lot, (like more than 8 inches) it might take me 1 - 1 1/2 hours to shovel it.  After I shovel it, I spread salt on it just like the big trucks that spread it on the streets.  

You might find it a little funny that the kids around here have a few superstitions about snow days.  In fact, I have found my kids participating in these superstitions on occasion.  Mia has put a spoon under pillow, ice in the toilet, and worn her pj's inside out, all in an attempt to have a snow day.  You could try these things in Arizona, but I don't think they would get you a snow day!


This picture has nothing to do with snow days except that the photo was taken this morning, a snow day.  My daughter, Quinny, took a bite of a cupcake and got a little more than cake, as you can see!  Haha!  Did it stop her?


What do you think?


Have a great day, 2nd graders!  
As my mom (and Mrs. Miskin's mom) would say . . . 
Get Smart,
Put on Your Thinking Caps,
Remember Who You Are!

From,
Kim 
in Maumee, Ohio

1 comment:

Kim T. said...

Love it! And I didn't know anything about the superstitions to create snow days! Funny, makes me wonder how many other things are common knowledge in the family that I don't know about...Dad