2.27.2011

Churchy church

Well, the ward here is definitely a little bigger than in Toledo. Today alone, there were two teacher and two deacons ordained. I think you kids will have a much more active YM/YW organizations. What did you all learn at church today? We had some good meetings. I particularly enjoyed the following two points, that I am going to try to focus on this week. One is a phrase coined my President Monson, which is to have an attitude of gratitude. We all have so much to be thankful for. We have a great family, we have a home to live in (well, technically two right now), we have the gospel, and we are all in good health. We live in a free country, we have the opportunity for good education. We have more than we need. This is not the case for many others in this world. If we go throughout life looking at the positives in our lives and trying to help others have the same, we will see the world and even our challenges in a much more positive way. We all have hard things happen to us, but we also all have a lot to thank God for.
The other thing I learned was from a story of a sweet little 7 year old boy. He was playing in his backyard with a favorite ball that belonged to a sibling. Well, in playing with the ball, he bounced it so high that it went over the fence. He couldn't get to the ball so he started praying for help in getting it. He told his mom that when he opened his eyes after the prayer, the ball was sitting high up in a bush next to the fence. He ran over and grabbed it, but he told his mom that he'd looked all over by the fence before the prayer without finding it. His mother asked him what he did when he found the ball. He said he knelt down and said another prayer thanking Heavenly Father for helping him find the ball, then he asked, "What can I do for you now?" This is a question that goes along with the gratitude theme. I am going to try to ask Heavenly Father every morning in prayer, "What can I do for you today?" Then I'm going to listen and see what He says! Hope you all had a great Sunday! See you in 5.9 days!!! Love, Dad

1 comment:

Kim T. said...

We read your letter for FHE. I am always grateful for the things I have. Maybe it was the years of living in Mexico and laying in a warm bed while hearing the rain pouring down and thinking of all the families out in the cold and mud, but having food, clothing, shelter, and health are never taken granted in my book. I can't even think about it without the tears stinging my eyes. I am blessed.