2.11.2011

"I LOVE YOU, ERIC!!!"


Here's Eric circa 2005.  He couldn't say "I love you" enough times, or in enough different ways every morning of kindergarten - sign language included.

Here's Eric circa 2010.  Won't say it.  So embarrassed by it.  This morning I dropped him off at school when there was no one around - I mean NO ONE.  He had to be there early for "Popcorn Friday".  
 I said, "Eric, I love you."  
Nothing.  
"Eric, I love you."  
"Shh."  
"Eric, I love you."  
(Desperate looks.  Oh no. Did someone hear this?
 "Eric, I love you"  
Nothing.  
(More Desperate looks.  Followed by sincere shushing. Please, stop Mom.)
I concluded this humiliation with a little sign language "I love you".  He was horrified.

Eric, I know that deep, deep, deep, DEEP down in your heart the kindergartener of yesteryear is still there, and he still loves me.  Someday he will surface again.  Until then,
I LOVE YOU!!!!  And always will!

1 comment:

Beto said...

That is so funny! I will always remember that little dude saying goodbye in the mornings. He said it like 50 times in at least 3 different ways every time we dropped him off. How could just 5 short years since kindergarten change him so much?? I'm sure somewhere DEEP, that little boy still lives. The saying of it will just lie dormant for the next 8-10 years, then it will flourish into a beautiful 'I love you Mom' flower! Yup E, I just called you a flower. And by the way, I love you too!!!