3.18.2011

life is getting better

I want you to take a really close look at this picture.  One, it is 6:15pm and Quinny is outside without a jacket - I think I can hear angels singing (OK, they are birds, but the sound is heavenly)!  Is spring actually upon us?  Two, I don't see a speck of snow in the background - glorious!  Three, and possibly best of all, Q is eating that deliciously, crumbly granola bar outside!  Thank you, thank you, thank you - one less Q mess!
As you know, Fridays are my favorite day of the week because I get to help in Mimi's classroom.   I think I am in love with 1st graders.  I know I say that about kindergarteners as well, but really, they are all toothless wonders!  Today we were working with money, mostly counting, identifying, and sorting, however, Mrs. Baker had a little game for us to play at the end.  I'm telling you, I am starting to believe that cheaters are born.  First, a few weeks back, I caught Mimi's arch-nemesis, Dillon Schiavone, cheating and thought it was just a fluke.  However,  even at these young ages I keep finding them. During our simple little game, where only two kids played at a time, one of the Graces kept cheating.  First, she held the outrageously large die, found the six-dot side, set it down, then claimed she rolled it.  The other Grace (her opponent) said, in shock and horror, "Grace!"  Next, she took a card from the draw pile right from the middle, thinking it would be better than the top card.  Not sure why that would be better, but cheating nonetheless.  She proceeded to "roll" her die two more times.  The other Grace just let it go, she's not a cheater and had resigned herself to the fact that Grace #1 is.  The best part - she lost, therefore learning a little more than money - 'cheaters never prosper'.  I loved that at the end she said, "I hate losing!"  All I can say is:
To Grace #1 - learn to lose gracefully.
To Grace #2 - graceful win, my dear!

1 comment:

Beto said...

I'm glad it's getting warmer! I have felt guilty ever day of nice weather here while you've been there. I can't believe I was wrong about the Graces...I was fooled by the pics!