4.15.2011

grocery store success = $1.03

You may be wondering HOW?  How did you do it, Kim?  I will tell you!  It was super-couponing!  It has changed my life.  Let me tell you all about the good news...  I jest, of course.  I tried couponing in 1993 with Karen - it didn't stick.  I even bought a cute little expandable wallet/organizer to hold all my wonderful coupons.  Wah-wah, I was a failure.  I'm a full price payer/shopper, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Okay, maybe a little embarrassed at times, but certainly not ashamed.  I do look for sales, but if I need something, I just get it.  Okay, enough about that.

Back to the topic at hand.  Every time we go shopping Q wants to ride in the movie carts.
I don't like those carts for two reasons.  1.  Your kid(s) can climb out the front.  It's not cool when you don't see them get out and your first clue is hitting a kid-sized speed bump.  2.  They don't hold enough food.  Yeah, we buy that much food.  Well, today we didn't need that much food, so I told Quinny she could get one of those carts, IF she remained INSIDE!!!!  I thought this was going to be a disaster.  She doesn't remain inside anything (unless she is stuck, trapped, tied down, locked in, buckled, so on and so forth, you get the idea...)  Like I said, we didn't need that much food, let me tell you why.  We are in the process of eating everything in the house before we move.  So this week, instead of making our regular meal plans, I took a pad of paper and pen and headed to the basement.  Our menu for the next couple weeks looks a little like this:
Sunday - stir fry (frozen)
Monday - stir fry (leftover)
Tuesday - hot pockets
Wednesday - garden vege soup (canned)
Thursday - orzo salad
Friday - black bean burgers (from the freezer)
Saturday - penne pasta
Sunday - lasagna (frozen)
You get the idea.  It goes on like this for a solid two and a half weeks.  I also told the kids, much to their delight (yeah right), that I was not going to buy anymore cold cereal until all the instant oatmeal was eaten.  (Let the loud huffies and groaning commence!)  

So, there we were.  Quinny happily 'driving' her blue movie car and occasionally yelling things at me loud enough for the store to hear.  The speakers inside the car must be a little louder for her than they seem outside.  I was speedy.  I don't like grocery shopping.  I had a list.  I was focused.  I did get one strange look from a lady in the cheese section.  In my head, I said what are you looking at?  Out loud, I smiled.  Then I realized Q was grabbing cheeses and breadsticks and loading up the driver's seat.  Okay, maybe I should have been paying more attention to what she was doing and spending less time telling people off in my head.

We got to the checkout aisle and Quinn hadn't gotten out of the car once!  I was shocked.  It took everything she had at this point to stay in the cart, however, because right in front of us was Sandy, Meijer's mechanical horse.  If there is one thing Quinn asks for more than the movie carts, it's to ride the horse!  I couldn't believe it, but she waited until we were done paying and it was her turn to ride the horse.  I know this is silly, but I don't normally let her ride it.  I am usually spent (emotionally, physically, and monetarily) by this time and all I want to do is go home, so this was a real treat for her.  Not only did she get to ride, she got three pennies to put in it!!  Our successful outing was punctuated by Quinny riding the horse while waving her burpee around in the air and leaning back like she was doing horse tricks. This was our exchange...

Quinn:  He Ha
Me:  Ye Ha
Quinn:  No, it's HE HA
Me:  Are you riding Sandy?
Quinn:  I'm riding Sammy the llama, and she's a horse.

The cart cost me $1.00 and the llama/horse ride was $0.03.  It may not have been super-couponing, but it was super-successful and super-fun!

1 comment:

Beto said...

As you know, I was reading this to you while we were talking on the phone, and I was laughing the whole time, but you are soooo funny! I love your posts! Maybe we should buy Quinn a llama! Then you could be a llama mama:)