9.06.2011

trifecta

I live in constant fear.
OK, that's a little dramatic, 
but ever since Haley's school started and I have been driving a lot, I have been waiting for three stings.
1.  Getting stung by a scorpion.
2.  Getting a speeding ticket.
3.  Running into John.
I joke quite a bit about this trifecta of stings, which will happen first, and the chances of them happening all on one day.

Today I casually went into the yellow bathroom to do my business, looked over, and there was this guy (pictured above).  He was just a foot and a half away and ready for action.  I, however, was not.  I had to play it cool and finish what I had started, like there was not a poisonous creature right next to me.  OK, so the bathtub wall was between us and scorpions are super slow and he was very small (this picture might be enlarged to show texture).  Never the less, I hate them.  If they get in your shoes, your bed, your drawers, or your whatever, they'll get you!  And it's gonna hurt - a lot!  I won the battle today, but there are a lot more where he came from, and there is only one of me.

Sting number two - speeding ticket.  I have never had a ticket.  I speed every day.  I drive a ton.  It's going to happen.  Maybe I should just slow down.  It's something to consider....

Number three - running into John.  John is Shelle's (my sister) ex-husband.  He lives just around the corner.  We live in the same square mile.  We shop at the same stores.  His step kid goes to the same grade school as my kids.  Let's just say I'm not too sure how the encounter would play out.  It's bound to happen though.

All three of these stings would be a little painful, a little ugly, and a little unwelcome.

As I have thought about it a little, I have come to the conclusion that I need to use my knowledge that I have gained with the scorpion and the police with John.  If and when I do run into John, I just need to slow down, go about my business, act cool, and pretend there is a bathtub wall between us.  Maybe, just maybe, I will avoid that sting all together.  Another something to consider.... 

No comments: